1 a low evergreen shrub of the family Ericaceae; has small bell-shaped pink or purple flowers
2 a tract of level wasteland; uncultivated land with sandy soil and scrubby vegetation [syn: heathland]
EtymologyOld English hæþ
- Rhymes: -iːθ
- The word heaths may apply more than one, disjoint, heathlands.
Heath can mean:
- Heath (habitat), a landscape characterised by open, low growing woody vegetation.
- Any of several related genera of flowering plants in the family.
- Benjamin Heath, British scholar
- Darren Heath, motor sports photographer
- David Heath, British politician
- Edward Heath, British politician
- Eric Heath, New Zealand cartoonist
- Ted Heath (bandleader)
- Lewis Heath, British general
- Lilian Heath, American doctor
- Michael Heath (cartoonist)
- Monroe Heath, American politician
- Samantha Heath, British politician
- Sir Thomas Little (T.L.) Heath, British mathematician and historian of classical Greek mathematics
- Thomas Heath (instrument maker) (1719-1773), English scientific and mathematical instrument maker.
- William Heath, American soldier and politician
- William Heath (artist), British artist and caricaturist
- Joseph Heath, Canadian philosopher
- The Heath Brothers: Jimmy Heath, Percy Heath, and Tootie Heath, all American musicians
- Heath Ledger, Australian actor
- Heath Bell, pitcher for the San Diego Padres.
- Heath Miller, American football player
- Heath Ramsay, Australian butterfly swimmer
- W. Heath Robinson, British cartoonist
- Heath Shuler, Washington Redskins quarterback, now Democratic representative from North Carolina
- Heath Streak, Zimbabwean cricketer
- Heath (bassist), bassist of X Japan
- Heath Lamberts, Broadway actor who originated the role of Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast.
- Heath Herring, American heavyweight mixed martial artist, veteran of UFC, Pride Fighting Championships, K-1 and World Vale Tudo Championship
- Heath, a gay character in Greek
heath in German: Heath
heath in French: Heath
heath in Korean: 히스
heath in Dutch: Heath
heath in Polish: Heath
heath in Volapük: Heath
Arabia Deserta, Death Valley, Sahara, alkali flat, alluvial plain, barren, barren land, barrens, basin, bottomland, brush, bush, bushveld, campo, champaign, champaign country, coastal plain, delta, desert, desolation, down, downs, dust bowl, fell, flat, flat country, flatland, flats, grass veld, grassland, howling wilderness, karroo, lande, level, llano, lowland, lowlands, lunar landscape, lunar mare, lunar waste, mare, mesa, mesilla, moor, moorland, open country, outback, pampa, pampas, peneplain, plain, plains, plateau, playa, prairie, salt flat, salt marsh, salt pan, savanna, sebkha, steppe, table, tableland, tree veld, tundra, upland, vega, veld, waste, wasteland, weald, weary waste, wide-open spaces, wild, wilderness, wilds, wold